Community Discussion · Company Watch

Where Exactly Should WorkBuddy Rules Go? I Tried for Ages and Still Can't Figure It Out

TangTang2d ago2026/10/01 80 views

Where the rules are written might matter more than what the rules say. That's not necessarily true, it's just a feeling I got from trying things out these past couple days.

I only started using the WorkBuddy personal version a few days ago, so it's been less than a week. I work at a hospital during the day, and when I get back at night I fiddle with it for a bit, mainly wanting it to help me organize night shift records and scheduling tables. A few days ago I also tried the personal version against the enterprise version, and the personal version is enough for my own use, no doubt about that.

I came across a hands-on guide that said rules should be written clearly like an employee handbook for a new hire — five blocks: identity, task scope, output specs, taboos, and memory maintenance. I thought that made sense, so I wrote one up following it, threw it into the chat box, and had it organize my daily night shift records according to it.

The first time was fine. The second time I opened a new conversation, and it didn't recognize it anymore, went back to that "okay, let me help you organize" tone, and didn't remember a single one of my taboos.

The article also mentioned "global rules" and Skills, which confused me a bit. Global rules sound like you set them once and they stay in effect, while Skills sound like one-click execution of some kind of process. Where the boundary between the two is, the article didn't say clearly. I poked around in the settings and found a place that looked like it could take rules, filled it in, saved, opened a new conversation, and it seemed to take effect but also seemed not to. This time it didn't make things up, but the format still wasn't the same as what I wrote.

I don't know if I filled it in the wrong place, or if the rule file has format requirements, like it has to be written in those 【】 blocks. What I wrote was plain everyday language, paragraph by paragraph.

There's an even smaller issue too — sometimes it treats the content of the previous conversation as a template and pastes it in. A few days ago I had it summarize a night shift, and the beginning carried over a garbled line from last time. I deleted it, and next time it came back. Is this also related to memory settings?

Does anyone know where exactly global rules are configured, and how they divide work with Skills? I don't want to install a bunch of Skills — the article said installing too many actually interferes with context. The only things I actually do repeatedly are night shift records and scheduling.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Engineer Jiang

Starting a new conversation and it doesn't recognize it — most likely the rule isn't attached at the session level. Where you filled it in is probably just the global default, not the same layer as Skill.

Galaxy Brothers

Starting a new conversation and it loses all memory is so real. Same thing happens when I write planning docs — rules have to be hung globally to feel like a passive skill, otherwise you have to re-chant every time.